Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Taking Control of My Money


Earlier this year, I left the Financial Broker that I had been with for a decade or so. I had my accounts transferred to ScotTrade, where I would have much "ownership" of my retirement accounts. If I want to buy (and I have the funds to do it, I can do it). Same with selling. No appointments, no phone calls - everything online.

I started out way back before college, with Edward Jones. My parents used EJ. When I lived in Cambridge, I had a friend and colleague who just started up his own EJ brokerage. I went with him. Most of my money was put into Mutual Funds - specifically American (company, not country) Mutual Funds. They did fine, I suppose. I wasn't paying very much attention because I wasn't particularly interested.

I followed my broker as he switched away from EJ to be more independent and incorporate his son into the business.

My wife said that I had to leave because of a conflict of interest. The relationships of personal and professional needed to be unwound. I wanted to, but I kept putting it off for fear of offending. And I hate change. But I eventually overcame my inertia. So now I'm at ScotTrade. I'm selling many of my Mutual Funds (don't like their extra charges). I'm selling off many of my American funds because I can't shake feeling that in some way I was used.

I feel better, more responsible - and I'm taking the time to care and get educated.

(Image ripped off http://www.acf-fr.org/)

No comments:

Post a Comment