Monday, March 22, 2010

Lonely Road (the Song) Part 1.


Mark Heard wrote Lonely Road on his Dry Bones Dance album. It struck me at first that this song was about Jesus - extolling His virtues. While it does do that, it is only done in a passive way. The song is really a challenge to those who would try to follow Jesus. Is it a challenge? Maybe it is a warning. In any case, the song puts forward that the Son of Man walks a lonely road. Listen.

Not taking note of the fools or the wise
Being a pawn of time and chance
Not making vows when the flood waters rise
[All these are] Safer than nails through your hands.

I can't even do the first 3 - and these are safer than the lengths that Jesus went to. I especially think of the not making vows part. I don't make bargains with God (anymore). I think those who do are terribly immature to think that God is interested in "paid obedience" or "bought faith". He (God) has already paid. What humiliations to ask for more! Then, of course, I've never been in a flood that threatened me. Would I try to strike a deal with God? "I'll pray more often - and I'll go to church more regularly, too. Maybe I'll try to memorize parts of the Bible more. Just please rescue me from ...." People face floods (or other calamities), and desperate for saving, promise to God something they had kept in reserve from Him. Would I join them if pressed?

I'm not sure I wouldn't do the same if threatened with foreclosure or divorce or my children disowning me. I hope I don't have to find out the hard way.

Being a slave to the sultans of grief
Keeping the hand to the plow
Being held captive to public belief
[All these are] easier than thorns through your brow.

The third statement captures my attention. In what ways do I act because I'm interested in how others view me. And "public belief" is often more cruel than the belief of any one person. (A person might have a nuanced compassion for Tiger Woods, but public belief can only paint him "sick".) It's the curse of the sound bite, or the sensation-driven media. Strangely, those who don't care what the group thinks about them have so much more freedom, but they often walk alone. Though simply walking alone doesn't mean that one is free, nor that they are not swayed by others' perceptions.

But further than that, the statement seems to say that the person in question simply allows the "public beliefs" without really fighting - almost as if the fight would be in vain or even wrong. But Jesus stood mute before his accusers. He allowed the labels of the mob and lived there.

Even doing that, as Jesus did, falls short of what Jesus did beyond that.

Being immune to the war of the heart
And never wondering why
To bury the conflict deep in the dark
[All these are] safer than spears through your side.

This verse I understand the least. Maybe Heard is saying that Jesus controlled himself -his internal passions, misgivings, temptations - and did not let them change Him or confuse His commitments to God. Following Jesus in this is hard, but Jesus did more - and He walks a lonely road.

For him who burns with a creed and a flame
Words are as smoke on the wind
Some kind of volatile helplessness reigns
And can't fill the hearts of his kin.

To go and enlighten the doomed and unwashed
Seized with the art of sacrifice.
To carry the weight of a martyr-at-large
[All these are] easier than giving your life.

So what do we do when the passion inside us for God? When words fail? When we can't convince others and aren't able to help others sense and receive God's love? When our goals are noble and our actions nobler still? When we carry Jesus in us and it seems that the world sees us carry a corpse on us? There is something more - and it is harder. Jesus gave His life.

Chorus:
It's a lonely Road (x3)
That the Son of Man walks down.

(Image taken from Answers.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment