Monday, March 22, 2010

Saving Money through Gift Cards


When I came across this article from TechCrunch.com, an idea popped into my head to save me some money. The article discussed a couple websites that bought and sold Gift Cards. If you bought, they were at a discount from the buying power on the card. If you sold, then you got some (not all) of the money from the card back that you weren't going to use anyway. Back to my thought, why not buy a Gift Card for myself at a discount and use it to make purchases I already intended to make.

I'm only in the middle of my first maneuver, so it is not all tested and true, but here is how the story has unfolded thus far. amyrei and I had been discussing getting a trampoline for the kids. Tres expensive. Then I came across this. Someone did the research for me. Great. But still, it's $200. Sears, Sears, Sears, Oh yes, those Gift Cards. I can buy a Gift Card for $200 at an 10% discount. OK, that's only $20. Is there more? Sure. When I purchase the trampoline from Sears, I'll use my Gift Card as well as checkout codes for more savings! Where do I find those? Here (or other places, but the savings codes are pretty much the same).

So in the end, I'll buy a trampoline (Regular Price =$349.99) for less than $180. (Hope the kids don't get bored with it after a couple times jumping.)

This might be an option for you to consider if you are going to be making purchases at Best Buy or WalMart or Target or going to see a movie (and on and on). If you can wait a week for your card to arrive, you could save some dough.

[UPDATE]
You might also direct some of the money that you used to purchase your products to your favorite charity. There are programs set up like Charity Blast, which have partnered with various companies. The plan works like this: You buy the product from the company, the company gives a percentage of the sale to the charity that you choose. (Of course, that charity needs to be signed up for it, but that is usually free.)
...let the wheels turn ...would that count towards my tithe?

(imaged swiped from PlasticJungle.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment