Thursday, November 18, 2010

The long Election night

My election drama has just taken another turn. Yesterday, the GOP has filed a motion with the MN Supreme Court in hopes to bring some more sunshine on the recent election - specifically the Governor's race. The two contestants in question are quite close and a recount is in order. But before that happens, the GOP wants there to be a reconciliation of the numbers.

Here's what that means: At the end of the voting day, the election judges have to match up the number of ballots that they've given out with the number of ballots that are in the ballot box. If they are different, then they need to find out why. Two years ago, there were more ballots in ballot boxes than ballots given out by election judges. Hmmmm. There was also a recount there. The GOP wants to bring the light of day to this process. They claim that in MN Election Law, the reconciliation of the numbers must include a counting of the number of the signatures in the registration books. So the GOP sent out calls for Election Judges who worked at precincts where this kind of reconciliation was not done. I responded. I signed an a paper saying so. My testimony is included in the motion sent to the Supreme Court.

When the GOP CC'd me, they suggested that members of the press may wish for comment from me. Yikes!

I will keep further comment about what I think of this move to myself until this phase is over.

1 comment:

  1. Holy smokes! Who would've thought a day at the polls would turn into such an event???

    ReplyDelete