Friday, July 30, 2010

The Oracle

I was joking with Anjali that I would bring her someday to visit The Oracle. If you've seen the movie "The Matrix", then you know what I'm talking about. (If you haven't seen the movie, I'm simply referring to a person with 'hidden' knowledge.)

Alas, this Oracle has died. Her name was Helen Velonis. Actually, it's probably best to just call her a prophet (or prophetess) because everyone else calls her that. She had her ministry headquarters in tiny Lyle, MN. It was even closer to Iowa than Albert Lea, where I spent my teen years. I went to her church a few times. Once, I went to find an answer about which college God wanted me to go to. I told her that I had a question for God, though I didn't tell her the question. She told me the answer.

This is the only encounter I can point to and say "I witnessed a miracle that betrays science and statistics". Of course, everyone can point to "the song of a bird", "the birth of a child", "that neighborhood boy surviving childhood" as miracles. Sure, I can attest to that as well. But this seemed more unique, more personal.

Her Church (I think it was an elder) also tried to teach me to speak in tongues. I was not ready for it at all. I've never recovered from the confusion that began there. To this day I shrug my shoulders at the notion, neither denying it, nor affirming that I have such an ability.

I guess, in the end, I look back and see a net positive.

Rest in peace, Helen. Rest well in the arms of the one who saved you.

1 comment:

  1. Tim, I'm glad God guided you when you needed it and I am glad Helen listened to Him on your behalf.

    ReplyDelete