Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Put In Blender - Drink Daily

When I first read this, in my gut I knew that this was something I would need to read over and over.

This is an essay. It tries to point out a problem that many modern thinkers (or wanna-be thinkers) have. Here is the error: using one's thinking to avoid errors to the suppression of the search for (and acknowledgement of) truth.

Am I lonely in part for failing to take a step for fear that it will be in error?

The reposting of the comment by "John" (comment below the essay) seems material:

John says:
Another James quote from "The Will to Believe" that is especially relevant to the article:

"Believe truth! Shun error—these, we see, are two materially different laws; and by choosing between them we may end by coloring differently our whole intellectual life. We may regard the chase for truth as paramount, and the avoidance of error as secondary; or we may, on the other hand, treat the avoidance of error as more imperative, and let truth take its chance. Clifford…exhorts us to the latter course. Believe nothing, he tells us, keep your mind in suspense forever, rather than by closing it on insufficient evidence incur the awful risk of believing lies. You, on the other hand, may think that the risk of being in error is a very small matter when compared with the blessings of real knowledge, and be ready to be duped many times in your investigation rather than postpone indefinitely the chance of guessing true….For my own part, I have also a horror of being duped; but I can believe that worse things than being duped may happen to a man in this world: so Clifford's exhortation has to my ears a thoroughly fantastic sound. It is like a general informing his soldiers that it is better to keep out of battle forever than to risk a single wound. Not so are victories either over enemies or over nature gained. Our errors are surely not such awfully solemn things. In a world where we are so certain to incur them in spite of all our caution, a certain lightness of heart seems healthier than this excessive nervousness on their behalf At any rate, it seems the fittest thing for the empiricist philosopher."

I claim to know little of empiricist philosophies, but I don't want to be an thinker who is a nervous wreck about what I believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment