Thursday, July 22, 2010

More Links


I wandered around the web briefly, but got hooked by an interview conducted for Christianity Today in 2003. The interview was of an education educator, Mary Poplin. Her interview is there to read - and it is interesting (though she doesn't dwell on spoon-bending as much as my curiosity was itching for it).

She took a Sabbatical in 1996 to work with Mother Theresa for a couple months. Her subsequent book (2008) is somewhat a recounting of what she learned and what she is going to do with that learning. It is called "Finding Calcutta: What Mother Theresa taught me about Meaningful Work and Service". Amazon sells the paperback version for about ten bucks. Half.com sells it for less. Maybe the library also has it for loan.

What kept my attention to her story was, well, her story. She came from a left-wing, academic, elitist, open-to-anything-except-Christianity life. In so many ways, it was a perfect circle. (My wife talks about "perfect circle people" - and in many ways, not very charitably.) But the perfect circle was broken (as they are prone to be) by her humanity and her need for God. I look forward to reading more about how her 10-year reflections on what she learned in Calcutta.

btw, perfect-circle people come in all shades. It my own tendency to draw my own perfect circles. Thus, I have to fight this as well. It is a sense that the Truth (cap T) can be known through unbending rules. Once you know the rules, you have a firm grip on things. It ain't so as the tables are turned - the last shall be first, and the first shall be worst.

(image ripped from Amazon.com)

1 comment:

  1. I just put it on hold for you at the library- you're 1 of 1 waiting for it so it should be here soon.

    ReplyDelete