Tuesday, December 7, 2010

I'm glad science is looking into this . . .


It has just been brought to light an important study in the Social Sciences. A study in human behavior out of Sweden as it relates to Chess. Yes, chess.

You can view the abstract and download the study here.

Basically, it says that the study concluded that male chess players took riskier strategies when playing against attractive female players. The reverse was not, in fact, the case. That came out of nowhere - completely unexpected.

I do wonder if these conclusions may be applied to Cribbage.

Who do you think funded this landmark and important study?

5 comments:

  1. Interesting! I like your question.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure where to begin commenting. Male female relations? Crazy ways to try to impress people? Money?
    Let me begin with the question: Why do men think that if they win and therefore their attractive woman partner loses, that this will help them in any way?
    And yeah, I can see the Cribbage getting really cutthroat here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it has to do with "impressing" the girl. He needs (wants?) to do something flamboyant or something to set himself apart. Or, maybe he is nervous, so he takes risks - and risks tend to play out more quickly. Game over sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I can say is I watch it happen ALL the time when I'm out dancing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You mean that it didn't take a study with a control group, lots of statistics, and a plump grant to find this kind of thing out? :)

    So, when this happens in dancing, the men engage in riskier strategies - putting themselves in a position maybe to lose quickly, but also to win in a spectacular fashion? I don't see that much when I go dancing (square dancing, that is). :)

    ReplyDelete