Thursday, December 16, 2010

Celebrating Christmas

I'm not thrilled with Christian Music Videos. Just give me the song.

But I heard a song in the car this morning - and it is the only way I could really post about it.



I was witnessed to a few days ago by some JWs (Jehovah's Witnesses). I love talking with them (seriously, I do). The latest of their AWAKE magazines rails against Christmas. So that was the issue for discussion. Of course, we had plenty in common - against consumerism and the advertising. They went further and attacked the roots of planned celebrations altogether. Strangely, I defended our practice of celebrating Christmas - by trying to illustrate that Christmas at our house was really focused on the birth of Jesus first and foremost. Now, I have to put my hand to the plow and make sure it happens that way as best I can. I have some ideas, but would welcome suggestions.

  1. Sing Christmas songs as a family
  2. Read the Bible / Nativity stories

2 comments:

  1. I am deeply, deeply moved. Wherever the line to see Jesus is, I'll get in it. And I want my kids in it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to get a wreath with the four candles, you know, the three purple ones and the pink one. I forget what that is called. Then do the little devotions for each one.

    ReplyDelete