Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Intelligent Sounding Words that substitute for something ... inglorious

(My apologies ahead of time for the British humor).


There are plenty of aspects of life that are uncomfortable - so we give these things a name shield us from the raw encounter with what it is about.

"modernist" is code name for _______.
"choice" is code name for ________.
"passed on" is code name for _______.
"very droll" is code name for _______.
"tax" is code name for _______.
"undocumented worker" is code name for ______.

Can you think of more?

2 comments:

  1. "More relevant to God?"
    "Of course not, Prime Minister."

    Great line.

    Had a friend recently who told me a story about a Catholic priest who held a mass during a snow storm when no one but he and the janitor were in the building. The janitor suggested that they go home and the priest insisted that the mass must go on because it was about and for God and not about an audience.
    That's made me think a lot about what I do in which God is my only audience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't think of any right now, but I just ran across some lovely words for "blue": http://flashcards.dictionary.com/deckprofile/view/4837?o=15412 Sorry, that is so random.

    ReplyDelete