Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Church Joke

Last Sunday, we had a guest preacher. He was from Focus On The Family, and he spoke about having "Perfect Peace". Of course there were 3 points. But the part most memorable was the joke he told.

Ole and Leena loved to go to the State Fair. So every year, they would get their picnic basket, pile into their car, and drive to St. Paul for the fair. And every year, Ole would look longingly at the Helicopter Ride. He would bring it up with Leena, saying "I've wanted to go on that Helicopter Ride for many years now. Maybe this is the year." To which Leena replied, "Yes. It appears to be a fine ride. However, it costs $50. And $50 is $50." And Ole inevitable responded with, "Oh you're probably right."

This went on year after year, until one year when Ole was feeling particularly elderly. He said, "Leena, I may not get another chance to go on this Helicopter Ride. I'd really like to go on this ride before I cross over Jordon." Leena replied sympatherically, "Yes, Ole. We're getting older. But $50 is $50, don't you know."

Now the pilot of the Helicopter Ride overheard the conversation, and wanting to gain another fair offered them a deal. "You will get to take the Helicopter Ride for free - you keep the $50. But, if during the ride you make any kind of sound, you pay me $50." Ole looked at Leena. Leena looked at Ole. They both thought, "Just think how much we could save! $50! And $50 is $50." They agreed.

Up in the sky, the pilot tried every dip, turn bend, roll, daredevil maneuver he could to get the couple in the back to cry out. But they did not. As the pilot was returning to the ground for a landing, he said, "I'm really surprised! I thought I could get you to say something. I tried every trick that I know to scare you, but you kept your peace. You don't have to pay me the money for the ride." To which Ole replied, "You know, when Leena fell out, I thought of saying something. But, you know, $50 is $50."

The rest of the sermon had something to do about "Remember, Rest, and R______". But I had already heard the funnest part.

1 comment: