Wednesday, October 20, 2010

In Afghanistan, and why we are there

My wife has been talking recently about stories she's read about the improvement in society when girls get an education - even a minimal amount of formal training. This is all well and good and very important.

But, when we encounter cultures that intentionally oppress ladies, and keep females from their natural positions of power (shared with the males), not only do we get a lack of education for the women, we get a cultures worthy of extinction.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful story of kindness! And it is kindness which will change everything in the end.
    And yes, I've become firmly determined about women's education especially since reading Stones into Schools and Half the Sky. I've got my eyes open to make sure that everyone within my sphere of influence learns what they want to learn, especially girls and women.

    ReplyDelete