Monday, August 30, 2010

Questions, Questions

I've begun, more recently, to employ my eldest offspring to help me memorize some Bible passages. First, it was John 3:16-17. (If you see this as a set-up for meaningful discussion, BINGO!) Last Saturday, it was 2Cor 5:16-17. It was the section about being a new creation since we no longer view things and people from a worldly point-of-view. "The old has gone, the new has come."

This did begin a rather wide-ranging conversation that included some reading from Revelations 4, 5, and 6. (Not something I'd have chosen, but she wanted me to read something about heaven.) Anyway, she astounded me with her questions and observations on religion and life.

1. Do Muslims go to heaven?
2. I've noticed that people who have Christian parents become Christians and people who have Muslim parents become Muslims.
3. Do babies who die go to heaven?

When I began to address each of these, I started with: "Wow, I'm not really sure." I didn't leave it there, but repeated that "anything is possible with God". (I'm not sure she heard anything else.)

Someone is doing some good thinking in our house. And it looks like I'll be trying to memorize a few more verses here soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment