Sunday, August 22, 2010

Love Your Enemy

I was confronted with this issue by a book, "Ten Things I wish Jesus Never Said", instead of Jesus. I guess Jesus and his issues (Roman occupiers, Pharisees being Pharisees, and everyday sinners doing their thing) seemed remote to me. So when Jesus talked about loving the enemies, I never really stopped to dwell on it.

There is one person. If a passing thought were to land on this person, I would wish in my heart the worst sorts of trouble. (I haven't the faintest idea if it is mutual, but that matters little.) I have taken to stop myself when such a thought comes and ask God to bless this person with every blessing that I can think of. The usual ones of health, fortune, long life, happy family, and on and on. It helps that I've committed to pray for them anyway.

What should I think if God answers my prayer? Will I be like Jonah and sulk?

Is this all preparation for me if I should meet them again?

Is the prayer some kind of "indoctrination" or "conditioning" that is supposed to change my heart to love them and really desire the best for them? Will my heart follow my prayers?

1 comment:

  1. Tim, I really respect you in this. I admire your commitment to blessing them.

    ReplyDelete