Sunday, August 15, 2010

On Being a Judge

I showed up at the Powderhorn Rec Center very early - before 6AM. The janitor was fairly new - and didn't want to let us in - even after the Head Judge came and tried to talk to him. She found an unlocked door in the back and snuck in. If you remember that day in MN history, it was extremely warm. The Rec Center was air-conditioned, but our spot in the gym was not. It was over 90 degrees in there. The janitor would not open the Emergency Doors for us so we could get some degree of ventilation!

We eventually went to the lobby and the computer room. This made for a more pleasant day! Projections were for 10% of the registered people to show up to vote. We got close to 20% - at nearly 300 voters. 40 of them were newly registered voters.

Since we were a Rec Center, people came in and out who were not voters. One such person came through during a slow part of the day for us. One of the judges asked him if he was going to vote. The conversation went something like this?

Judge: Are you here to vote?
Man: No, I'm not going to vote.
Judge: Why not?
Man: I don't like the government.
Judge: How else are you going to change it if you don't vote?
Man: Doesn't matter who is in it, I dont' like the government.
Judge: It's the government. You can't escape it.

The man didn't vote. Inside, I had huge admiration for this guy. But the Judge, also, was right. You can't escape the government. "Change the name, change the faces, but the story's still the same." While that might be true, it has some flexibility - which is why I voted.

Here's the oath the all the Election Judges took before the polls opened:

I, ______, solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will perform the duties of election judge according to law and the best of my ability and will diligently endeavor to prevent fraud, deceit and abuse in conducting this election. I will perform my duties in a fair and impartial manner and not attempt to create an advantage for my party or for any candidate.
(I've got more to say on this, but I've got to get ready for Church.)

No comments:

Post a Comment