Friday, May 28, 2010

Who will the Spartans look to?

Here is a moving story about a girl and her family.

The author/editor (Greyhawk) repeats a question asked by Stephen Pressfield:

"When the battle is over, when the Three Hundred have gone down to death, then will all Greece look to the Spartans, to see how they bear it.
"But who, lady, who will the Spartans look to?"
-Steven Pressfield, Gates of Fire
It could be that Greyhawk wants us to see the girl and her family as those who have stood their ground - even when all others have shrunk back. Would I be brave? Would I endure? Would I finish the race? Would I keep the faith?

Maybe I won't be called upon to do this, but I can try to keep my temper better when my kids flood the bathroom twice in one day. Maybe I could give myself some more slack when I try in vain to do simple household repairs. Would that make me a hero? Maybe it would get me ready to be one.

Maybe someday, the Spartans will look to me. Who will they see?

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a powerful and beautiful story. And what an incredibly loving and brave father. I can see where she gets it.

    ReplyDelete