Monday, May 10, 2010

My Skin - update

Kenelog is my friend. My first visit to the Dermatologist proved to me that Modern Medicine has some very nice tools. But the itch returned. A month and a half after the Kenelog, I returned to the Dermatologist. She didn't give me more Kenelog (and I didn't ask for it as I knew that that was being saved for only the most dire circumstances). I saw her this time not as one on the edge of being broken down like the last time; this time I saw the edge coming from a ways away and I went to get help.

So my skin was itching again. I'm continuing the Derma-Smooth - Cortisone suspended in some kind of oil. I spray it on every night after my oatmeal bath. I spray it on every morning before work. But I only put it on my head and neck, the rest of my body was upgraded to something stronger - some unpronounceable and unspellable cream. I cannot do this forever. I can already see some side-effects of my heavy use of these medicines.

Strangely, though they speed the healing, they don't address the cause. What is the cause of all this? Is it an allergy? genetics? something I'm eating or drinking or breathing or wearing? The Dermatologist was also interested in this question and took a small chunk of my right wrist to send to the lab. Came back with "Bad skin". That's all. It's what they call Dermatitis - hard to heal skin. Sounds fancy, but adds nothing to the understanding. Like Eczema means "dry skin", brilliant. No cause.

Something that might be the cause that I'm pursuing now is this: my skin has had a recent infection of strep and staph. It was supposed to have been destroyed by my battery of Dicloxicilin (derivative of penicillin). The itching I'm experiencing now does not have dryness, just bumps and pimples. I bought some basitracin to do some more attacking. It has more warnings, but I'm hoping that this might be the ticket. I'm hoping. I don't want to face this with fear that there's no cure. I'm still afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment