Wednesday, May 19, 2010

My FedEx Route


My FedEx route is commonly very short (maybe 5-8 stops). I start at 5:15, and eventually leave with the packages by 6:15 to make my FO deliveries (FO="First Overnight"). I'm generally done by 9:00 AM.

Today, I recognized one of the names on a package that I was to deliver. He plays 1st base for the Twins and was voted the best player in the league a few years ago. It was for his wife, but I've heard that his first name is never on the packages - only his wife's name. I get that.

I was giddy with excitement. Why? Because this was someone famous? Because this was someone I had cheered mightily at baseball games or smiled when he did well. And I could stand for a moment in his presence?

But when I drove away from the airport, I remembered Him who takes no note of the fools or the wise. I know Him who created the Heavens and the Earth. I know Him who melts and hardens hearts of rulers and serfs alike. I know Him who walks on water and through walls.

Why should I be overawed by a baseball player?

Because there were no special indications on the package (like: Signature Required), I dropped the package off like any other residential package. I got to the house a few minutes after 7:00 AM. I figured nobody was up, though the security gate was open. I lightly tapped on the front door's window. I put down the package and went back to my truck. I asked God to bless them - and drove away.

I later drove up to Maple Grove to St. Jude's (I think that it's a building for research since it's not a hospital). I had a nice, and very quick, conversation with the lady in charge of Shipping/Receiving. I remembered her name this time. (I usually have to ask because the handwriting of most is illegible. After a few times, though, I expect myself to remember the name. But this lady, this lady, God loves her so much. And I was not in awe. And the whole world turned upside down has caught me off guard again.

1 comment:

  1. I admire your good heart. You do have such a genuine respect for people and that's one of the things I love about you. Another is how much genuine delight you take in your FedEx job and the friends you make there.

    ReplyDelete