Friday, May 21, 2010

How to Deal with Haters

Tim Ferriss puts together a nice list of ideas for dealing with people who are simply unkind. It generally relates to living - but also seems to fit as good advice for living as a Christian in this alien world. (As with Larry Norman, I'm only visiting this planet.)

1. It doesn't matter how many people don't get it. What matters is how many people do.

2. 10% of people will find a way to take anything personally. Expect it.

3. "Trying to get everyone to like you is a sign of mediocrity." (Colin Powell)

4. "If you are really effective at what you do, 95% of the things said about you will be negative." (Scott Boras)

5. "If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." (Epictetus)

6. "Living well is the best revenge." (George Herbert)

7. Keep calm and carry on.

I won't share thoughts on all these, but I'm really impressed with the idea that all these seem to have behind them: Be yourself. If I live within my own skin and am happy there, why should I care if another disagrees or thinks it odd or ridicules me for it. That person's dissatisfaction ought not dissuade me from myself and my goals. People are different, I am different - and I'm OK with that. Sometimes I'm worried that I might offend people - maybe I should turn that around and say that sometimes people take offense.

So, how does this list compare to how Jesus lived?

1 comment:

  1. T-
    I imagine I will look back on from my 60's and 70's and say being myself was one of the main growing up points from my mid-teens through mid-40's. For as simple as it sounds, it's very very difficult to do. I read it in Angela's blog today about yellow paint and in Megan's blog about her new bike and now here. I am so pleased to read your blog and hear your heart, Tim. I'm in it with you.

    ReplyDelete